The Balenciaga Series 1

Kaixo! I´m greeting you in Basque. ;)

This week´s  special because it´s Balenciaga week. No, no, I´m not talking about Balenciaga´s latest Fall/Winter collection nor that of next year´s Spring/Summer collection. I´m talking about the works of the legendary genius, the original Cristóbal Balenciaga.

Exactly a week ago, the hubz and I went to Getaria, a small fishing village in Guipuzcoa to visit the recently inaugurated Cristóbal Balenciaga Museoa. This was Balenciaga´s birthplace and burial place and so it´s just right that they open a museum here to commemorate his works, no? ;)


Balenciaga was about clean lines, fluidity, comfort with a touch of modernism and superb craftmanship. I´ll start with the day dresses first:


He designed the sack dresses in the late 1950s which totally transformed the woman´s silhouette making it longer and more slender. Perfect if you have a short torso like mine. ;) A number of dresses were surprisingly placed on a rotating disk so it was interesting to see the whole design of the dresses from the front and back.

 front

back

The great designer also experimented with different kinds of textile ( which you´ll see later on in my next posts), colors and prints.


The reds in here are more vivid in person and take note how the dress drapes on the body creating one fluid line and the folds are in the right places where it should be.


Below is a two-piece dress( suit) in black with 3/4 sleeves. Best for winter and with gloves on. By the way, you´re looking at the back of the dress. Elegant detailing, no?;)


The draping of this dress at the back caught my eyes. I think this design sits well on pear shaped women because it broadens the shoulders and how the folds fall is so graceful.


To end this post, the baby doll dress, created in 1958. One word. GORGEOUS! If I´m not mistaken, Balenciaga designed this floral cocktail dress for an expectant mother who´s also a young socialite.


More to come. This is just the beginning. Come back here for more! :)

Photos taken from the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museoa ( Getaria, Spain).

Musoak( besos)!

Che

Comments

Sherin said…
Wow, looks like a great exhibition! I love those dresses.
stylenuggets said…
Having dresses on a rotating disk is the best way to see them. Will come back for more pics.
Vania Clarissa said…
nice blog :)

follow each other ? if you already following me , i'll follow you back :)

http://vaniaclarissa.blogspot.com
Noelle Chantal said…
Lucky you to be able to visit that place and see his works! The sack dresses are so fine! :)
Sweet said…
I cannot wait for more photos...I fell deeply in love with the dresses especially the structure of it...I love the vintage cut and the colors of it...wow more photos dear!!!

Kisses
Sweet
PensandLens
@mistytewest
ooohhhh nice dresses =)) Such a nice blog.. am a new follower here, follow me if you like hihihi =))

http://sittieinthecity.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

HELLO, IT´S BEEN A WHILE...

WIWW: What I was Wearing Lately

WIWW: Tonal White